Transferring with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree

An Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree will be applied to a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, and an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree will be applied to a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree as half of the credits required for that basic four-year degree.

To transfer most effectively, community college students should select an associate degree program that aligns with their anticipated bachelor degree major. Five-year degree programs will require transfer students to complete all credits required for the bachelor’s degree beyond the initial 60-64 credits that will transfer with the associate degree.

The A.A. and A.S. degrees will satisfy all lower-level General Education requirements, unless there are graduation requirements or major-specific prerequisites that were not completed within the associate degree.

Students should use NJ Transfer when choosing courses so that they can be sure to complete any prerequisites required by the four-year college or university for their major. Consult with a transfer counselor for additional information.

The statewide transfer agreement does not guarantee admission to any four-year institution. Admission requirements vary by college, and many majors have a competitive admission process. It is a student’s responsibility to research and fulfill all admission requirements, and complete the application process for each institution he/she applies to.

After a student has been admitted, the four-year institution will identify the remaining courses a student will need to take to earn a bachelor’s degree.

Each New Jersey public four-year college or university has a minimum grade requirement for community college courses to count as transfer credit. In most cases, the minimum grade requirement is the same for transfer students as it is for students who attended the four-year institution during their freshmen and sophomore years. However, it is a student’s responsibility to check with the four-year college or university that he/she is interested in to find out the minimum transfer grade requirement.