Types of Financial Aid

Grants and scholarships are gift aid that do not have to be repaid and are the most desirable form of aid. Students must file a FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) form www.fafsa.edu.gov to determine grant eligibility.

Information regarding scholarships for Bergen Community College students may be obtained through the BCC Foundation, Pitkin Education Center, Room A-325 on the College’s main campus in Paramus, by calling (201) 447-7117 or by emailing bccfoundation@bergen.edu.

Federal Financial Aid programs (Grants) available for eligible students include:

  • Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Veterans’ Administration Educational Benefits 

State Financial Aid programs

  • New Jersey Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF)
  • NJ STARS(Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship)(NJSTARS)
  • New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant (TAG)
  • New Jersey Pilot (Part-Time Tuition Aid Grant) (TAG)
  • NJ Best
  • NJ GearUp


  • Private
  • BCC Institutional Scholarships

Available loan programs include:

Loans are funds are considered self-help aid and are awarded based on need and eligibility.  Loans must be repaid by the borrower. Students must have filed a FAFSA prior to applying for a loan.

  • William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program for all Federal Stafford Loans. (By participating in the Federal Direct Loan Program, the College and the students will be assured of guaranteed access to funding through the Federal Government as Financial Aid will be processing all loans directly through the U.S. Department of Education (not through individual banks).
  • New Jersey Class Loans are considered alternative educational loans and are primarily based on credit worthiness. They are currently applied for through www.hesaa.org
  • Other Alternative Loans are available for applying at www.elmselect.com.


Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a program which provides part-time employment to students attending institutions of higher education who need the earnings to help meet their cost of postsecondary education and encourages students receiving FWS assistance to participate in community service activities. 
Students must be eligible for FWS in order to participate in the program. Placement of students is done by Office of Cooperative Education and Career Development, Room A-123, on the College’s main campus in Paramus.